Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vegan MOFO VI: Chik'n Ala King

My dad was over on Tuesday for lunch. He's been laid off (he does landscaping so its seasonal) and he has a lot of free time. I invited him over for Wednesday too and this was his reply...

"Hmm.. I dont think so. Ive been craving Chicken Ala King soup and I think Im going to have some of that at home."

Immediately I told him that theres no need to eat that at home, because Im making it for lunch at my house. Well, it intrigued him and he agreed to lunch. Now I had to figure out how the heck to make Chicken Ala King... without chicken AND still taste like the real thing so my dad would enjoy it.

After a good half hour of googling recipes and from my past memory of what the soup tasted like, I came up with a recipe.



Chik'n Ala King Soup

1/2 recipe Tofu Mom's basic white gravy (mentioned in this post)
1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup frozen peas
3 tbsp diced pimientos
1/2 cup chopped carrots, cooked
1/2 cup dehydrated soy chunks
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
pinch of poultry seasoning

First things first... making the gravy. Once its thickened, add the rest of the soy milk (or more if you like a thinner soup) and stir.
While making the gravy, boil a pot of water, dump in the soy chunks, turn off the heat and let rest, covered until rehydrated (about 10 minutes). Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, cook up the mushrooms in a pan over medium until browned, add the rest of the veggies to the pan and heat through.
Add the remaining ingredients and all of the veggies to the gravy/soup base. If desired, add a bit more liquid.

This soup/stew is great with saltines or toast! And guess what? My carnivore dad LOVED it!

No comments: