Friday, November 5, 2010

Vegan MOFO VI: Inspired by HEAB, Veganized by Yours Truly

Do you remember grade school, when the teacher asked the class to tell about their favourite food? Remember the answer? Usually a unanimous "PIZZA"!!!

Pizza has been sounding pretty good lately. When I found this recipe on Heather Eats Almond Butter, I had to test it out. There were no measurements, just guidelines for this wonderful pizza treat and a few adjustments were in order. Goat cheese was called for. Certainly not vegan. But a few changes later and Vegan Pizza Bites were born.



Vegan Pizza Bites
adapted from HEAB

2 cups water
1 1/4 cups cornmeal mixed with 1 cup water
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil
2/3 cup daiya cheddar style cheeze
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
sprinkle of nutritional yeast on the tops

I followed the directions that she laid out with three changes. Firstly, I only cooked the polenta for no longer than 20 minutes. It calls for an hour of cooking time but the cornmeal started sticking to the bottom of the pan and it tasted done, so I took it off the burner to cool. The second change was that I baked them for 60 minutes rather than the 45 called for minutes. Its a good idea to just check them often, because it may just have been my oven. The last change was instead of 10 balls, I made mine into twelve, but whatever your preference, I just prefer them on the smaller side.

I served them with a jarred pasta sauce blended with some silken tofu (for extra protein!). I give this recipe a thumbs up! I'll definitely be making this again soon and I cant wait to have the left overs for lunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! Definitely trying them soon :)