Thursday, April 28, 2011

Baby Shower Baking!

What is one to do when invited to a baby shower.. yet cant think of a single idea in regards to gifts for the new mom??

BRING THE COOKIES OF COURSE!

Its also important to take note that I have merely a spattering of random baking ingredients in my cupboards at the moment and my pay day being tomorrow, I really didnt have the means to go out and stock up. I wanted to make something fitting my new diet, restrictions and all so I could indulge alongside everyone else. But really, with the limited amount of supplies, it was starting to look like I was going to show up empty handed.

I was perusing 'gluten free cookie' recipes on Tastespotting, coming up only with long complicated recipes with things Ive never heard of- nevermind had in my possession.

Finally, FINALLY I stumbled upon one that looked promising. Short ingredient list, easy subsitutions, vegan and gluten free. Perfect?

You can find the original recipe HERE and I made the following adaptations:

- 1c. brown rice flour became 3/4c. plus 1/4c. of both sweet sorghum flour and tapioca flour
- 1/2c. sugar was reduced to 1/4c. plus 1 tbsp. agave nectar
- 1/2c. dried fruit and nuts became 1/4c. of both raisins and chopped dark chocolate
- I replaced the oil with an equal amount of melted coconut butter
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract.
- refridgerated the batter before putting onto the cookie sheet (just about five minutes)

The remainder of the recipe I left as originally instructed except for a minor mistake that I made (that in turn led to the addition of the flax, the tapioca flour, and the refridgeration). Due to my lack of reading through directions prior to baking, I ended up adding all the liquid at once, turning the 'batter' into cookie soup. Clearly it needed a little thickening up.

Despite the mishap, they came out deliciously, albeit slightly chewier than your average cookie. This could be due to my alterations or my overzealous dumping in of the liquid ingredients. After a taste test, they were still deemed worth of the baby shower and Im sure anyone would be shocked to learn these are not only gluten free but vegan as well. Im just hoping there will be enough! There was only enough batter for 18 and I ate two (to make sure they were okay... clearly.)




No comments: