Sunday, April 24, 2011

One word for you: YUM!

Yet again, I find myself failing to blog as much as Id like and for that I apologize. Lately Ive been having quite a few stomach issues and unfortunately, cant eat much of what I used to and at the moment I am on a mostly liquid diet. (NOT FUN.) I miss cooking and obviously, the eating that comes afterwards. Its driving me crazy!

So Im going to make an attempt to update more often. For now, with older recipes and creations, as well as a few restaurant adventures, that I had never gotten around to posting.

Today, I have my all time FAVOURITE lunch. This is so good, I cant even explain. Before all this stomach rebellion, I was eating is pretty darn close to every day.



What is this amazing meal?? A Tofu Tomato-Basil Wrap with Avocado. (Gluten free, vegan, and delicious!) Its so simple and easy to adapt however you like. Heres the basic recipe:

1 Food for Life GF brown rice wrap
3/4 serving of extra firm tofu
2-3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp braggs liquid aminos
pinch of pepper
1 tbsp. sundried tomato, chopped
1 tbsp. avocado, mashed
fresh basil*

First of all, defrost the wrap (you have to keep them frozen). Just take it out of the freezer before you start prepping everything else and by the time you need to fill it, it will be unthawed. Preheat a panini press or, if you dont have one, the oven to 450F.
Now, all you have to do is crumble the tofu into a ricotta cheese-like consistency.. mix with braggs first and then add garlic, pepper, and mix again. Lastly, mix in the nutritional yeast. Then simply spread avocado in the center of the wrap, lay down enough fresh basil leaves to cover the avocado and add the tofu, then the tomato! Roll up the wrap and place in panini press or oven until slightly golden on the outside. *If you dont have fresh basil, dried will work just fine too. Just mix it into the tofu with the pepper and use about 1 1/2 tsp.

Now tell me that isnt amazing! Like I mentioned earlier, its also super easy to adapt. Ive been know to add things to give it a bit of an extra nutritional kick or just for taste.

These are a few of my favourites:

1/2 tbsp. hemp hearts
1/4 c. finely shredded carrot
1/6 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp miso instead of the braggs (make sure you mix this really well though)
some diced onion

Pretty much anything you think would taste good! Enjoy!

No comments: