Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Daiya Cheese and Stir Fry

After a recent trip to Virginia, I have a full fridge of vegan/ vegetarian food products which are not sold in Canada or are so far away from where I live, I never buy them. My favourite has to be the Daiya "Cheese" that I picked up. Ive never had it before and let me just say cow's milk cheese is a thing of the past! As an avid cheese lover its been a difficult search for a vegan replacement but the search has ended.



So far, Ive created the following:

* "Chicken" Mac and "Cheese" Casserole
* "Bacon", Lettuce, Onion, and "Cheese" Panini Sandwich
* "Chicken", Lettuce, Onion, "Cheese" Panini Pita Sandwich with Toasted Almonds

What will tomorrow bring?? Who knows!

Aside from my Daiya adventures, I had the most wonderful vegan stir fry dinner. My friends decided to have a teryaki stir fry with egg and I jumped at the chance to get creative.



Maple Teryaki Stir Fry with "Egg" and Rice

1/3 cup cooked brown rice

1 1/4 cup stir fry veggies (I used carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, and onion)
2 1/2 tbsp teryaki sauce
1 1/2 tbsp sugar free Cracker Barrel maple syrup
1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/2 serving Nasoya extra firm tofu (1/2 of 1/5 of a block), cubed
1/4 serving soft tofu (about a tablespoon + a teaspoon), mashed
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 clove of garlic (minced)

salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp sesame seeds

(This recipe has a lot of steps, so bear with me.)

First heat a pan over medium.
Put the broccoli, celery, and cauliflower in a bowl with a bit of water and microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
In a seperate bowl, mix together tofu, garlic, and tumeric and add to the pan. Add yeast and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes until golden. Set aside.
Stir fry the veggies until they brown and are tender-crisp.
Meanwhile mix together the soy sauce and syrup. Add to veggies and cook, stirring for about 2-3 minutes.
When the veggies absorb most of the sauce, add the tofu "egg", salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
Plate and sprinkle with seasame seeds and rice.

(210 calories)

No comments: