Thursday, September 23, 2010

Maple Chili Tofu

Only a week or two ago I stumbled upon kartme.com. I loved the idea of a site where I could compile all of the recipes I wanted to try and the first one I 'karted' was this onefor grilled tofu and a fruit salsa.

Tonight I finally had the chance to test it out. I made quite a few adaptions due to time and availability of ingredients and chose to leave out the salsa, opting instead for a side of green beans and naan bread. Strange combination, I know. But it was wonderful. A big thank you to the FatFree Vegan Kitchen blog!



My Version of FFVK Maple Chili Tofu

1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar free maple syrup
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp each garlic powder and chili powder (adjust to your tastes)
a tiny pinch of pepper and nutritional yeast

1/5 block nasoya extra firm tofu, sliced,drained and pressed
1 tbsp green onion, thinly sliced

Mix together first set of ingredients and pour into a ziplock bag.
Add tofu to the bag, making sure the marinade covers all of it and zip it up, getting as much air out as you can.
Let rest for at least 30 minutes.
Heat a pan over medium and once 30 minutes is up place tofu in the nonstick pan. Save the left over marinade.
Cook flipping ever 2-3 minutes for about 18 minutes or until browned.
Sprinkle each side with nutritional yeast while cooking.
Heat the leftover marinade for 15 seconds in the microwave and mix green onion in.
Transfer tofu to a plate and pour over marinade.

**100 calories

2 comments:

VegSpinz said...

The tofu looks delicious- love that you had naan with it, that sounds good too!

Shelby said...

Looks yummy!