Thursday, September 16, 2010

My first taste of Rice Pudding

Breakfast again! By far the best meal of the day. Unless you decide to have breakfast for dinner too, then its an even tie.

Ive been perusing recipe sites and blogs lately and again and again I was stumbling across recipes for rice pudding. Hmm... rice pudding? Sounded interesting. Saved it on my KartMe.com account and moved on. But I kept coming back to it. And then I stumbled upon this recipe from Manifest Vegan. I was sold and decided to whip up a rice pudding recipe of my own.


(^in the making^)

The final product was perfection. I decided to combine it with my love for pumpkin pie. Exactly what a chilly fall morning deserves.



Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding

1/3 cup hazelnut milk
2 tbsp canned pumpkin
2 tbsp sugar free Cracker Barrel maple syrup
1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or more)
pinch of salt

2/3 cup brown rice, cooked

2 tsp raisins
1 tbsp sliced almonds
1 tbsp sugar free CB maple syrup

In a small bowl whisk together the first set of ingredients. Heat a pot over high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Once the mixture is boiling, turn heat to just under medium and stir often until the mixture starts to thicken.
Add rice, stir to combine, turn heat down a bit more (medium low) and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile toast almonds under the broiler until golden. (Make sure to check constantly, they burn fast.)
Stir raisins into the rice and transfer to a bowl. Top with toasted almonds and syrup.

(250 calories)

Now originally, I wanted to make the milk mixture with about 1 1/2 tbsp. silken tofu as well for extra protein/ creaminess but I was banned from the blender due to a few people still asleep. If you want to try it with the tofu, just blend the milk mixture with the tofu in a blender instead of whisking it together. (Add about 10 calories to the total amount.)

No comments: