Friday, September 17, 2010

Vegenaise and Fried Rice with Tempeh

Today I bought Vegenaise for the first time. Ive had a jar of Nayonaise in the fridge for months but found it disgusting. Vegenaise, Im impressed with. And since I was planning to have Gardein's buffalo wings for dinner, ranch dressing seemed like the logical accompaniment. I went on a hunt and found this recipe. Only 40 calories per tablespoon. Overall, it was delicious. I did add a few drop of lemon juice but I feel like it still needed a little bit of something else. Vinegar perhaps? Anyways, I definitely needed it tonight because those wings were hot!

Right before I went to purchase the Vegenaise, it was lunch time. I needed to use up some left over rice and settled on a veggie stir fry type dish with a side of tempeh. Ive tried other brands of tempeh before and I actually thought for a while that I just didnt care for it anymore. When I got around to buying my usual brand though (Lightlife), I realized it wasnt my taste buds that changed at all! I had just been buying a less than average product. And Im glad that tempeh is back on my plate.

Tempeh and Veggie Fried Rice



For the tempeh:

2 oz. Lightlife tempeh ( I used 3 grain )
1 tbsp. soy sauce
3/4 tsp. nutritional yeast

In a pan over medium high heat, cook all ingredients until the tempeh is golden brown. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.

For the rice:

4 asparagus spears, cut into 1" pieces
3 button mushrooms, quartered
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup cooked brown rice
1 tbsp. cashews, chopped roughly
1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast
salt and pepper

First, in a pan over medium heat cook asparagus for about 5 minutes and then add the other veggies. Cook 5 minutes more until asparagus is tender.
Add in the the rice, yeast and salt and pepper. Stir and cook about a minute more.
Meanwhile, toast the cashew pieces under the broiler for 2 minutes or until golden.
Serve rice topped with cashews with the tempeh.

**260 calories

No comments: